Established on 22nd May 1973, the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Programme in Nigeria is a compulsory 1-year National exercise for Nigeria Youth Graduates.
NYSC is a programme set up by the Nigerian government to involve Nigerian graduates in nation-building and the development of the country.
Nigerian graduates (from Universities, Polytechnics and other institutions) not more than 30 years of age are mobilized to a State different from their State of origin to contribute their quota to national development.
The exercise begins with a 21-day camp training, after which corp members are posted to different places of primary assignment (PPAs) within the State.
What is NYSC Acceptance Letter?
NYSC gives every posted corp a letter of posting to their respective PPAs. The PPA is expected to accept or reject the corp member.
The Posting Letter is divided into two parts: The notification of posting addressed to the PPA and Acceptance or Rejection slip signed by the PPA and sent back to NYSC.
Sample of the Notification of Posting
The posting letter sent from the NYSC State Office and duly signed by the State Coordinator has the following key format.
Address of Addressee.
Date Posted: _____________
POSTING OF _____(Year) BATCH __ MEMBER OF NATIONAL YOUTH SERVICE CORPS
I wish to inform you that the under mentioned corps member is posted to your organization for his one year National Service.
Corps Member Local Government Aea:________________
NAME: ________________________ CALL-UP NUMBER: NYSC/__________ DATE OF REGISTRATION: _______________ PROBABLE DATE OF DISCHARGE: ___________________(3 weeks Termination Leave Inclusive)
SEX:___________ STATE CODE: ____________ FIELD OF SPECIALIZATION: ________ QUALIFICATION: ____________
KINDLY quote the State Code No. in any correspondence to this office. Please, let us know when He reports to you by writing to this office using your letter headed paper. I enjoin you to note the following policy guidelines with regards to posting of corps members
1. Corps Members should be regarded as staff of your establishment and be given adequate job assignment and positions of responsibility commensurate with their qualifications, training and experience.
2. STATUTORY RESPONSIBILITIES OF EMPLOYERS
3. Provide Corps Members with a modest accommodation or at least reasonable allowance per month in lieu.
4. Provide transport for the corps members to and from the place of work or reasonable amount per month in lieu.
5. Extend medical facilities and other welfare services provided for other members of staff to corps members.
6. MONTHLY CLEARANCE LETTER: All Employers must issue clearance letters to only corps members who have satisfactorily performed their duties for the month. Corps members must submit their monthly clearance letters between 1st and 10th of every month to qualify for payment by the secretariat. NYSC pays Corps members monthly allowance through banks approved by NYSC.
7. The accepted line of communication on all issues shall be through Corps member’s Employer to the Local Government Inspector to the State Coordinator and vice versa.
8. Release Corps members for Community Development Service (CDS) once a week.
9. Transport Corps members from Orientation Camp at the end of the orientation course to their places of primary assignment or pay an appropriate transportation fare to them on assumption of duty.
10. DISCIPLINE: Paragraph 1 above suggests that corps member shall be issued appropriate internal queries like any other staff member on violation of organization rules/regulations. Other cases of indiscipline which cannot be handled by our organization should be reported immediately to the NYSC State coordinator.
11. Employers are please requested to send quarterly evaluation reports on Corps members using NYSC forms 2B & 2C which will be available to them on quarterly basis.
12. The state Coordinator reserves the right to re-post any Corps member to another establishment if the need arises.
13. No employer has the power to permit a Corps member to travel outside ______State. Corps members can only travel for their wedding and convocation on approval by State Coordinator.
14. Corps Employers are not permitted to conduct interview/examination for Corps members as a prerequisite for acceptance.
15. Our email address is ______________ for any confirmation on corps member.
16. Corps member’s Zonal/Local Government Inspector is _______________ (Phone Number)
Followed by the Acceptance/Rejection slip…
This part of the letter is detachable. It should be duly signed by the employer (PPA) focal person in charge of corp members.
See the format below:
This is to confirm the Acceptance/Rejection of ____________________(name of corp member), with Call-Up No. NYSC/________________, and State Code _________________ for a year National Service Scheme in our organisation _________________________________(name of organization)
Date:………………………….. Name, Designation and Signature:………………………………
If the PPA writes an Acceptance Letter with its letterhead, it follows the above pattern.
The official portal for all NYSC related issues is https://portal.nysc.org.ng/. Check it out if you may.
Also, visit the NYSC website here for more information: https://www.nysc.gov.ng/